Monday, April 30, 2012

TEACHING - teachers' lounge



I've been away from the blog, but I intend to be back now and keep readers informed on 1) teaching and 2) writing.

Now a little anecdote from #1.

This is a true story.

Friday I was in the teacher lunch room. Jane was telling everyone about this Brazilian restaurant in Baltimore called Fugo de Ciao. I don't know if the name is supposed to be a pun or what. I don't know Portuguese, but I can guess that the “fugo” means fire. The ciao, though, usually in so many romance languages means bye, like “see you later.” So it must be a pun or something (ciao/chow). Several people even talk about how they don't know what the name means and don't even know how you would spell it.

I, however, keep my mouth shut. I usually don't talk that much at lunch. For me, it's normal to be quiet. There is another person there who is silent, a substitute teacher.

For a sub, silence is also very normal. Most subs are not trying to make friends at a school that they will only be at for one day, then go to a different school the next. It depends on personality, really, but in general, substitutes don't strike up conversation in the lunch room. On top of that, this sub in particular huddled over herself a little while eating and had pale skin and red hair, all somehow in my mind indications that she's not chatty. I'd say she was about 25.

So Jane continued on about the great restaurant, how her bill amounted to nearly $300 for three people, but it was completely worth it. Their food was delicious, and they had valet parking and even a orchid to accompany the dishes. Sounds nice and of course pricey.

Her story was finishing up with how they had to wait to retrieve their car after the meal. Apparently her son was concerned about the valet parking, worrying that someone maybe stole their vehicle. Meanwhile, they had driven a van, while other patrons had sports cars that cost as much as houses. She loved telling that part. “Yeah, right. Like someone is going to pick our mini-van, when they could take a Lamborghini? Hahaha.”

That, of course, was when the until-then-silent, redhead substitute turned and looked at Jane.

“The vans are better for storing the dead bodies.”




                                                          Delicious food...to die for
***

The real story ends there. But I feel compelled to add this: The woman gave us an expectant look, like she was ready for the rest of the room to burst out laughing. Now, I almost did laugh at the weirdness of the comment, especially when I imagined what kind of reception she must have thought the joke was going to earn. But I just kept my mouth shut.